Monday, 16 Sep, 2019
About Georgia | About Tbilisi | Tourist Routes | Gallery | Contact
 
Lado Gudiashvili Exhibition Hall
Address: 11 L. Gudiashvili St.
Tel: (+995 32) 293 23 05
Ticket Price: Adults - 5 GEL; People from 6-18 - 3 GEL; Students and pensioners (with ID) - 3 GEL; Admission is free for orphan groups (with proof of status) and for children under 6.
Working hours: every day, 11:00 - 18:30 except Mondays and official holidays
 

Lado Gudiashvili Exhibition Hall is situated near the church of Kashueti, at the street of L. Gudiashvili, in house of N 11.

Upon the initiative of the Artist's family, into the part of the living space an exhibition hall has been organized and since May 2011 three-leveled, elegant exhibition space of Lado Gudiashvili Exhibition Hall is officially open to public.

In addition to Lado Gudiashvili's permanent exhibitions, the Exhibition Hall also holds temporary exhibitions, lectures and seminars covering all aspects of contemporary art.

The main profile of the Exhibition Hall is to provide permanent platform for the visitors to view Lado Gudiashvili's works, by providing temporary exhibitions of his affluent heritage.

Lado Gudiashvili (1896-1980) was one of the most prominent Georgian artists of the 20th century. He graduated from the Tbilisi school of fine arts in 1914. In 1919 he moved to Paris to study at Ronson's "Free Academy" (1919-1926). In the international capital of art, young Gudiashvili full of creativity and temperament soon became active member of the city's vibrant art scene. He became friends with Pablo Picasso, Frans Masereel, Amedeo Modigliani, Albert Marquet, Andre Derain; writers and art critics - André Breton, André Salmon (Salmon was the author of the prologue for Gudiashvili's second catalogue) and Luis Aragon, who all where frequent guests of the cafe de la Rotonde.

First exhibition he participated in Paris was held at Salon d'Automne that was followed by the Belgium and USA exhibitions. In 1922 and 1925 Gudiashvili organized his personal exhibitions at the Parisian galleries "La Licorne" and "Bielle". His works were acquired by Prado Museum, various galleries and private collectors. In 1925 in his book about Lado Gudiashvili Maurice Raynal writes: "You will fall in love with Georgia, looking at his paintings".

In 1930 Gudiashvili married Nina Mgeladze (later Nina Gudiashvili) who was the artist's muse and companion for the rest of his life. In 1946-1948 Gudiashvili painted the altar of Kashveti Cathedral in Tbilisi. He is the author of illustrations for many Georgian and foreign books. Gudiashvili's works are kept in the Georgian National Museum's Shalva Amiranashvili Museum of Fine Arts, in his family collection and in various private collections worldwide. He died in Tbilisi in 1980 and is buried at Tbilisi Mtatsminda Pantheon. The Street and the square in the center of Tbilisi are named after Lado Gudiashvili. International Astronomical Union named a small planet, discovered by Danish astronomer Richard M. West, after Lado Gudiashvili.